[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 14/24] i386 Vmi reboot fixes

To: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 14/24] i386 Vmi reboot fixes
From: ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:11:19 -0700
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pratap Subrahmanyam <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wim Coekaerts <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Virtualization Mailing List <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, Anne Holler <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jyothy Reddy <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Leendert van Doorn <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Arai <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:36:05 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Fix reboot to work with the  VMI.  We must support fallback to the standard
> BIOS reboot mechanism.  Turns out that this is required by kexec, and a good
> idea for native hardware.

Huh?  Rebooting through the BIOS and kexec are pretty much mutually exclusive.
Looking at the patch I can't see what you are talking about either.

Does kexec successfully work under VMWare?

> We simply insert the NOP VMI reboot hook before
> calling the BIOS reboot.  While here, fix SMP reboot issues as well.  The
> problem is the halt() macro in VMI has been defined to be equivalent to
> safe_halt(), which enables interrupts.  Several call sites actually want to
> disable interrupts and shutdown the processor, which is what VMI_Shutdown()
> does.

machine_halt actually is not one of those places.

machine_halt does not want to stop the processor.  It is very much
about killing the kernel and user space but having the software still
linger a little.

This needs a cleaner abstraction to make sense or go in.

Eric