[Xen-devel] Default Xen Kernel Builds (was Re: Modules in domU kernel co

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Default Xen Kernel Builds (was Re: Modules in domU kernel config?)
From: Sean Dague <japh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:47:51 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:48:54 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:58:32AM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
>  > I noticed the follow options compiled as modules in the xenU_x86_32
> > defconfig:
> >
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_NBD=m
> > CONFIG_SCSI=m
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
> > CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
> > CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
> > CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
> > CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD5=m
> > CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C=m
> > CONFIG_LIBCRC32C=m
> >
> > Is this intentional?  I would expect DEV_LOOP=y and would not
> > expect CONFIG_SCSI to be in there at all (if it's loaded,
> > it'll take over major
> > 8 and cause problems if you attempt to expose /dev/sda?).
>
> I think we've always had iscsi as a module, mainly for folks using iscsi
> from domU.
>
> These days, most of the testing is on -xen kernels rather than -xen0/U.

Sorry for the "wayback" response, but I missed this post the first time
through.

The default xen-unstable builds -xen0 and -xenU kernels, so as far as I
know, no one around these parts is testing -xen kernels.  If you believe
that -xen0 / -xenU are deprecated, it would be good to change the build
defaults.

Especially in light of 3.0.2 release coming up.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
IBM Linux Technology Center                     email: japh@xxxxxxxxxx