[Xen-devel] update possibility for domain configuration files

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] update possibility for domain configuration files
From: Michael Mey <michael.mey@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:17:15 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:17:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

a few things regarding the domain configuration came into my mind.
Let's say a domain is started on a xen host and has been running for 3 months.
Maybe, due to live-migration features, the domain "travelled" through several
xen hosts, but this isn't necessary.
During the domain's uptime, it was reconfigured by adding a few block devices,
maybe some network interfaces, reconfiguring vnets, changing the ram size
etc.

In my opinion, it should be necessary to implement an option into the xm
command to save the current configuration of a running domain back into a
local file. Because if the domain is shut down and should be brought up again
with the same configuration as before, we have a problem.

In my point of view this would be necessary. Maybe some people could state
their opinions whether this is a required feature or not.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Mey
Thinking Objects Software GmbH    |   mailto: michael.mey@xxxxxx
Lilienthalstrasse 2/1             |   phone: +49 711 88770-147
70825 Stuttgart-Korntal, Germany  |   fax: +49 711 88770-449