Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Bootloader configuration

To: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Bootloader configuration
From: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:45:06 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:45:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 04:47:03PM +0000, John Levon wrote:
> 4) The concept of "retrieve a file from this fs image" seems to be generically
>    useful outside of the Xen project context; forcing a Python API for this
>    functionality seems a lot less general than it should be.

Surely this is somewhere that Python can be very useful!  Support for
filesystem reading is available in C libraries, and munging a lot of C
interfaces together into a command-line tool is one of the things Python
does best.

In general I agree with your ideas; my own patches to XM and pygrub for
this were going along these lines, if not quite general enough.  In the
long term though, in-domU support is going to be the best way of doing
this, specially for virtual hosting and "packaged" VM images.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan                           (My opinions, not the University's)
Systems Research Group