Re: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simpler inter-domain transport

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [BUNDLE] Testing a simpler inter-domain transport
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:01:57 -0800
Cc: Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 20:12:49 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Thanks, just fiddling.  It'll be interesting to see what
> changes the PPC
> guys will need for this.
>
> Cheers!
> Rusty.

(I'm sure you meant PPC *and* ia64 ;*)

On just a quick skim, one thing to note:

IIRC from the summit, domain0 and driver domains for
neither PPC nor ia64 will have a p2m lookup table so
a p2m translation will require a hypercall. So
while virt_to_machine is cheap for domains on x86,
it is not on PPC and ia64.  If HYPERVISOR_share can
take physical addresses instead of machine addresses
(with Xen doing the phys_to_machine part of the
translation), I think the code would work better
for PPC and ia64, as well as better hide the
virtual->physical->machine memory abstraction.

Dan