Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to boot dom0 with 2.6.16-rc1 and xen-3.0-testing

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to boot dom0 with 2.6.16-rc1 and xen-3.0-testing
From: Saku Ytti <saku+xen-devel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:30:15 +0200
Cc: Travis Cross <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:41:00 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On (2006-02-06 09:37 +0100), Jan Beulich wrote:

> Try booting the kernel as uni-processor only; I would suspect the problem of
> booting SMP kernels (version 2.6.14 and
> later, cpu_possible_map getting set up too late) still hasn't been addressed
> ... Jan

 I have this SMP issue too, but this appears to be separate issue, as I have
same results in dom0 with later than 2.6.15, without SMP support compiled.
 The SMP issue results in much further output, even output by dom0, this
particular issue doesn't display single line from dom0 kernel.

> > linux-2.6-xen.hg tracks xen-unstable, so it's newer than
> > 3.0-testing.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.  I started to suspect that might be
> the case after diff'ing both
> {xen-unstable,xen-3.0-testing}/linux-2.6-xen-sparse against
> linux-2.6-xen.
>
> So upon your suggestion, I installed xen and xen-tools from
> xen-unstable at 8758, to see if that might make the 2.6.16-rc1
> kernel fly.  The result was the same: 2.6.16-rc1 crashes promptly,
> 2.6.12.6 starts without a hitch.
>
> To check the sanity of my build options for the new kernel on this
> box, I built a vanilla 2.6.16-rc2 kernel without Xen, and started it
> without the hypervisor running (it worked).
>
> > It ought to work when rolled back to a suitable version, or just
> > use Linux 2.6.12 in the unstable repo.
>
> I can start the 2.6.12.6 kernel on any Xen build from xen-3.0.0 to
> xen-3.0-testing to the latest xen-unstable.  I can't seem to get a
> late-model linux kernel to boot though (either as a dom0 or domU,
> actually).
>
> Is there a revision after 2.6.12.6 and before the tip that it might
> be useful to test?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Travis
>
> Keir Fraser wrote:
> >
> > On 4 Feb 2006, at 21:34, Travis Cross wrote:
> >
> >> I am unable to boot dom0 on a x86_64 (Pentium D dual core)
> >> machine using xen-3.0-testing at changeset 8738 and
> >> linux-2.6-xen at changeset 19827.  Booting dom0 using the
> >> latest xen hypervisor and linux-2.6.12.6 seems to work.
> >

> > Older guest on newer Xen should always work, but the same isn't
> > true for newer guest on older Xen. linux-2.6-xen.hg tracks
> > xen-unstable, so it's newer than 3.0-testing.
> >
> > It ought to work when rolled back to a suitable version, or just
> > use Linux 2.6.12 in the unstable repo.
> >
> > -- Keir

  ++ytti