[Xen-devel] Ubuntu packages

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Ubuntu packages
From: Pete Ryland <pdr@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:43:05 +0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:53:02 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm looking into creating .deb packages for Ubuntu's next release which will
be based on a patched 2.6.15 kernel.  I'm kinda wondering what you guys
think the best approach would be?

As I see it, the only way to maintain compatibility with the current Ubuntu
kernel (including all patches and included drivers) is to use Xen unstable
(and 3.0.2 when released) source, with the patched 2.6.15 Ubuntu kernel as
the "pristine" kernel, then apply Xen patches/sparse tree (manually if need
be) and build with Ubuntu's standard kernel config.  This is obviously
fraught with danger due to mutually exclusive patches, and the config
enabling things Xen doesn't like, so is there a better way?

Pete
--
       "If you could do Java over again, what would you change?"
     "I'd leave out classes" - James Gosling, at a Java User Group