[Xen-devel] Re: [Fedora-xen] Simple testing results for Xen and VMX on F

To: "You, Yongkang" <yongkang.you@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Fedora-xen] Simple testing results for Xen and VMX on FC5-test2.
From: Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:03:28 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:11:46 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 11:03 +0800, You, Yongkang wrote:
> 1. *** IA32E hasn't RPMS about Xen hypervisor and Xen0/XenU
> kernels. __FAIL__

Getting x86_64 building involved a couple of chicken sacrifices I think.
Stephen was making good progress yesterday, though, so x86_64 will
hopefully show up for test3.

> 2. *** In order to boot up IA32 Xen0, I have to add pci=noacpi as
> the boot parameters of Xen0 kernel, or system will hang when
> initial PCI. I don't know if it is only related to
> my Machine. __FAIL__

Please file a bug including some actual details about your hardware
instead of just vague statements like this.

> 4. *** /usr/lib/xen/boot/vmxloader isn't in the RPM package,
> so VMX Guest couldn't be created. I suspected build system hasn't
> bcc, it is from DEV86 package.  __FAIL__

Although it would be great if someone would actually port this stuff to
not use ancient, barely maintained toolchains and/or the approach of
actually distributing the firmware in the repository (as done by Bochs,
which is the upstream for this stuff), I went ahead and got dev86 to
build on x86_64 so that vmxloader is in later xen packages.

> 9. The new kernel names of Xen/Xen0/XenU seemed a little confused.
> E.g. the Xen0 name is like vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.29_FC5hypervisor. I
> thought hypervisor is for Xen.gz. Xen0 is the Service OS.

The kernel-xen-hypervisor package includes both the Xen hypervisor and
the dom0 kernel as these two are tightly intertwined.

Jeremy