Re: [Xen-devel] MacBook Pro Yonah (Intel Core Duo)

> So for those of us looking to buy a VT laptop, I have a few questions
> to make sure I understand this.  Is the VT functionality provided by
> the chip set in stone or is it still in flux?

I'm sure somebody knows what the state of affairs is - it's all designed, with
hardware shipping, etc.  I'm not sure myself though.

> then the issues of getting XP to run are just software(xen)/bios
> issues?If this is so then when laptops advertised they are "VT
> enabled" waiting for a while won't necessarily get you better
> functionality per se (just the longer you wait the better the software
> will be and the cheaper the laptop will be).

Well, you've still got to get a laptop where the manufacturer hasn't disabled
VT in the BIOS.  And, for that matter, where the chip allows it - Intel has
been known to disable chip features they don't quite want to release yet.
It's certainly *in there* somewhere but it's not necessarily the case that
you can access it.

> Hopefully this makes sense.  I need to get a laptop soon, and I'd
> definitely like to be able to have VT working.  Any advice?

Check out the new Yonah-based PC laptops, and keep an eye out for news on the
new MacBooks.

It seems to me as though VT laptops ought to be on shelves reasonable soon
(next few months?) but I don't have specific market information.

Cheers,
Mark