RE: [Xen-devel] xen source files and linux coding style

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xen source files and linux coding style
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:12:39 +1100
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:21:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The biggest problem here is turning tabs off. Tabs need to be used
> instead of spaces. As well, the indentation needs to set to 8.

If tabs are tabs, then surely the indentation itself doesn't matter? I
like the use of tabs as it means that I can use my personal preference
of a tab size of 1 or 2, and someone else modifying the same file can
use 8.

Personally I think that a tab size of 8 is #$%&! ridiculous, but as long
as they're tabs I can view them however I want :)

Is there any way that cvs/svn/hg/whatever can be coding style agnostic?
I mean as long as it's all under source control then why does coding
style even matter... it should be possible to have a filter that
converts source files to your personal coding style preference on
checkout, and then back again on checkin. But I guess that's just a
dream :)

James