Re: [Xen-devel] x86-64 problem with invalid page fault in linux 2.6.16-r

To: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] x86-64 problem with invalid page fault in linux 2.6.16-rc1
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:02:36 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 17:04:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On SMP systems we need the guest to handle spurious page-not-present faults at any time and at any virtual address. This is a side effect of the writable pagetable implementation.

If the vmalloc_fault path no longer covers all of the kernel virtual address space then a spurious-fault detection needs to be added before oops'ing the kernel.

Alternatively it would be quite reasonable to extend the writable pagetable implementation to exclude areas of the virtual address space from being subject to batched wrpt updates. Updates to such areas would be emulated synchronously. This would be a good thing anyway -- updates to kernel va space rarely occur in batches and so emulation would improve performance.

 -- Keir