Re: [Xen-devel] Essay on an important Xen decision (long)

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Essay on an important Xen decision (long)
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:34:00 +0000
Cc: "Magenheimer, Dan \(HP Labs Fort Collins\)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:52:40 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dan,

Thanks for the summary, it's nice to see all the arguments presented together.

> 3) virtual physical (VP): The guest is given max_pages of
>    contiguous physical memory starting at zero.  Xen provides
>    the illusion to the guest that this is machine memory;
>    any physical-to-machine translation required for functional
>    correctness is handled invisibly by Xen.  VP cannot be used
>    by guests that directly program DMA-based I/O devices
>    because a DMA device requires a machine address and, by
>    definition, the guest knows only about physical addresses.
>
> Xen/x86 and Xen/x86_64 use P2M, but switch to VP (aka "shadow
> mode") for an unprivileged guest when a migration is underway.
> Xen/ia64 currently uses P==M for domain0 and VP for unprivileged
> guests.  Xen/ppc intends to use VP only.

NB. the shadow mode for migration (logdirty) doesn't actually virtualise the
physical <-> machine mapping - a paravirt guest on x86 always knows where all
its pages are in machine memory.  All that's being hidden in this case is
that the pagetables are being shadowed (so that pages can be transparently
write protected).

> Driver domains are "coming soon" and support of driver domains is a
> "must", however support for hybrid driver domains (i.e. domains that
> utilize both backend and frontend drivers) is open to debate.  It can
> be assumed however that all driver domains will require DMA access.
>
> P2M should make driver domains easier to implement (once the initial
> Xenlinux/ia64 work is completed) and able to support a broader range
> of functionality.  P==M may disallow hybrid driver domains and
> create other restrictions, though some creative person may be able
> to solve these.

I'd think that driver domains themselves would be quite attractive on IA64 -
for big boxes, it allows you to partition the hardware devices *and*
potentially improve uptime by isolating driver faults.

For what you call "hybrid" domains, there are people using this for virtual
DMZ functionality...  I guess it'd be nice to enable it.  Presumably the
problem is that the backend does some sort of P-to-M translation itself?

Do you have a plan for how you would implement P==M driver domains?

Cheers,
Mark