Re: [Xen-devel] [patch, rfc] put IP addresses into xenstore

To: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch, rfc] put IP addresses into xenstore
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:49:50 +0000
Cc: Xen devel list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:47:03 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 21 Dec 2005, at 15:35, Gerd Knorr wrote:

$subject says pretty much all, this patch updates netfront and makes it store the network addresses of the interfaces in xenstore, so it's much easier to figure what IP some virtual machine has and (for example) ssh into it.

I would expect most setups will have a central authority assigning IP addresses to domains, either via DHCP or boot-time IP p'n'p. That would seem to be a better place to get domain-to-IP binding info from rather than trusting the domU itself. Unfortunately it's also slightly outside teh current scope of the dom0 tool stack.

 -- Keir