RE: [Xen-devel] CPU Utilization

To: "Andrew Theurer" <habanero@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] CPU Utilization
From: "Dave Thompson \(davetho\)" <davetho@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:15:42 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:17:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But I would think that the bridge activity should be showing up
in the top CPU summary as well.  It is running on domain 0 after all.
I know one person suggested that kernel activity is not represented
in the top CPU util output.  But I don't see how that can be right.
If so, where else is that time accounted for?  It seems to be all
there (in the sy, hi, and si values).

> Also, I don't see soft ints in that top output.
> That could also be another ~7% cpu.

Soft interrupt time is accounted for in the si field (15%) of the
summary.  I believe that is where most (if not all) of the TCP
processing is performed. Here is the top CPU summary display again:

Cpu(s):  1.0% us,  7.3% sy,  0.0% ni, 73.3% id,  0.0% wa,  3.3% hi,
15.0% si

> Also xen is doing some work, receiving the real interrupts
> and generating virtual interrupts to dom0, so with all this,
> it is possible that you are using another 30% unseen
> in top.

But aren't the hypervisor calls actually still being accounted for
by the domain since clock ticks are not lost but made up for in the
timer_interrupt() function of arch/xen/i386/kiernel/time.c?  The
only issue is really when a domain is preempted by another domain
by the xen scheduler and this is actually a problem in the other
direction.  The swapped out domain will still account for the
time in whichever time bucket it was using when the domain was
preempted (so the same time is accounted for by both domains).
Basically the aggregated CPU time for all domains on a CPU could
add greater than 100% because of this.  If the domain is
re-scheduled because of a SCHEDOP_block in the idle loop, the time
will be properly accounted for as idle time.

However, none of this really matters for my case since I am
only running domain 0, there is no guest domain.  I just want
a good explanation why 'xm top' is reporting 30% more CPU utilization
than top in this case.

> Best way to confirm this would be to use xenoprofile.

Xenoprof is great for seeing which kernel functions are taking
the majority of time but does it really help with CPU utilization?
It counts (in the default case) unhalted clock cycles and in the
xen idle loop the processor is halted (to save power) so the
clock cycles are not accounted for.  Is this right or am I
missing something.

> -Andrew

Thanks,
Dave