RE: [Xen-devel] K8 Optimization disabled

To: "'Jerone Young'" <jyoung5@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] K8 Optimization disabled
From: "Sylvain Coutant" <sco@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:53:50 +0100
Cc: 'xen-devel' <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:55:22 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I wonder why the "Optimize for AMD Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8 CPUs."
> > Option is disabled in Xen's Linux kernel configs as shipped with 3.0.0 ?
>
> If you are talking about X86-64 Xen then it's because AMD is not the
> only game in town anymore. You have Intel too now. So you have to stay
> compatible for both. You can Optimize it on your own though, if you need
> the optimization that badly.

I just wanted to know why the option was there for EM64T and removed for K8 ...
I believe this has something to do with IOMMU and K8-NUMA, but these one are
still active (even if they break at compile time).

And yes, when running a farm of servers, each percent of CPU optimization is
worth to be taken ;-)

Regards,

--
Sylvain COUTANT