Re: [Xen-devel] Running scripts at domain creation/destruction?

To: John Byrne <john.l.byrne@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Running scripts at domain creation/destruction?
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 20:23:17 -0600
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:24:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi John,

John Byrne wrote:

Are there any hooks for running generic scripts/apps in domain 0 when a domain is created or destroyed? I don't see any such thing in xend-config.sxp.

Since xend configuration files are just python scripts, you could add something to the config files.

Taking it back a step, my desire is to have something in domain 0 export the xen console via VNC. The reason for wanting to be available via VNC, is that we expect Anthony Ligouri's frame buffer work (or something) to eventually provide a VNC virtual console for para-virtualized domains. If and when that happens, our tool for viewing consoles remotely will continue to work.

Assuming that this is at all viable, does any have a piece of code for libvncserver that might be useful as the interface between xenconsoled and VNC?

There are a few VNC terminal programs--none are very good (including my own). I've been exploring this area quite a bit. This is a tough area b/c it takes a lot of work to be a full terminal emulator.

An interesting approach would be to use vncserver to create a VNC session with the resolution of an xterm and setup the vncrc file to only start an X term positioned at 0, 0. If you don't start a window manager, and change the background/foreground color, it should give you what you're looking for.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Thanks,

John Byrne