Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Latest USB code

I can't tell what's wrong or very much about how far you got from your
note below.  What you are doing has never been tried before so it may
very well simply not work yet but if you are happy to have a go anyway,
here's how to proceed:

It would be a good start to check that a directory for the usb cdrom
device appears in /sys/bus/usb/devices in the front-end domain.

If it doesn't then it means that the USB split driver hasn't been
installed properly or isn't configured properly or has a bug in this
area.

Some things to check in this case would be whether the front-end and
back-end USB driver modules were loaded and whether the front-end domain
configuration contained a line to configure the mapping of the back-end
USB port to the front end domain. Also check that you are actually
configuring the correct back-end port here.  You should also disable the
usb driver that would otherwise drive the cdrom in the backend domain
otherwise it may grab the cdrom before the split driver gets a chance.

If a directory for the cdrom device does appear in the
front-end /sys/bus/usb/devices then that means that you have
successfully mapped the cdrom device into the front-end domain and are
halfway towards getting it working.

Then you need to make sure that you have a USB driver for the cdrom
device loaded in the front-end domain.

After that, it may work.

You will of course need to put a cd into the drive :-)

If you are still having problems then you can rebuild the USB back and
front end drivers with tracing turned on (it's a kernel option).  Then
retry your test and post me the syslogs containing the trace output of
the back end and front end drivers.

This should be enough information for me to debug the problem.

Thanks for trying this out.

Harry

Harry Butterworth <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>