[Xen-devel] xen console question

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xen console question
From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:35:25 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:34:06 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   With a few recent changes, we have the console working pretty well on
the xen/ia64 port.  However, we're trying to come to grips with the
xen0/U config file implication of xencons_driver.  It seems the xen0
config file cannot include CONFIG_SERIAL_8250 since the default console
for that domain is a serial device.  Likewise xenU cannot include
CONFIG_VT because those domains default to tty devices.  In both cases
the call to tty_register_driver() overlaps with major/minor number for
the in-kernel drivers and therefore cannot co-exist.

   What can we do to fix this?  I assume these devices were chosen for
compatibility, but on ia64 we'd ideally like to be able to boot kernels
with generic config files that work either on bare metal or xen.  I
don't know if we should try to standardize something like a "ttyXen"
device or if there's some more obscure device we could piggy back on.
Any thoughts on where we might go with this?  I assume there are some
people out there that would like to use physical 8250 UART ports w/ a
xen0 kernel if nothing else.  Thanks,

        Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab