[Xen-devel] Is the hotplug/udev stuff worth the troubles?

Subject: [Xen-devel] Is the hotplug/udev stuff worth the troubles?
From: Michael Holzt <kju-xen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:57:55 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:57:42 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've joined this list (again) about 10 days ago, because i have severe
problems getting Xen running on an AMD64 system. Unfortunately nobody
answered to my problem description and i was not able to figure it out
myself yet too.

After following the other threads on this list it is, however, my
impression that i'm only one of many users who experience severe problems
with the hotplug scripts. Now, Xen 2.0 does really fine without hotplug,
so i'm wondering if hotplug is really needed.

I'm totally against the concept of having to run hotplug on a server,
especially on a Xen Domain 0. I always strive to make my server setups
rock-solid, and i do not want to have any unnecessary dynamic stuff on
them. Having dynamically changing setups is in my opinion a major pain
in the a** when it comes down to server administration and or having to
fix problems. I also fail to see any advantage of hotplug: I normally
start a domain 0 once and then it should run forever. There is nothing
changing in my setup during this, so why do i need hotplug? Now, i don't
know why you have opted to use hotplug in Xen 3. Maybe it has big
advantages which i fail to see. Maybe someone who knows can explain
why hotplug is needed.

But what i really would like to see would be an option to run Xen 3 /
unstable without having to use hotplug, even if this would require a
little more work when setting up a new domU. I want to have my dom0
as small (and secure) as possible and being forced to run hotplug is
in my opionion a big downside of the new version of Xen.

Just my EUR 0.02.

Regards
Michael

--
      It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks