Re: [Xen-devel] xm dmesg output

Adam Heath wrote:

Speaking of "xm dmesg", because xm is in /usr/sbin, it implies that a normal
user wouldn't normally need to run it.
xm dmesg requires root privileges (in order to make the readconsolering hypercall) which means that it can only be run by root. There's no point in cluttering a user's path with things that he cannot run :-) The only exception would be users with sudo privileges. I think it's common enough to put /usr/sbin and /sbin in sudo users PATHs though so they don't need it in /usr/bin.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

However, xm provides several informational commands, dmesg being just one of
them.  And, since the normal dmesg is in /bin, it might make sense to have
them available in /usr/bin as well.

However, this could just be done with a shell script wrapper.  Would such a
patch be accepted?