[Xen-devel] unusual domU memory performance

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] unusual domU memory performance
From: "Bryan D. Payne" <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 23:26:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 04:26:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been experiencing some unexpected results with regards to the memory performance of a domU virtual machine. I'm hoping that someone with a little more familiarity with Xen can shed some light on why I might be seeing this behavior. The scenario is as follows...

I have a program that runs in dom0 and maps some kernel memory from domU (the memory that I'm mapping holds the system call table). Once the memory is mapped, I run in a loop and compare the table against a known good value for the table. I have the loop setup so that I can adjust how frequently the memory comparison is made. The weird thing is that when I make the comparison continuously (i.e., no sleep between comparisons), the memory performance of domU actually increases compared to a baseline without my memory checker running at all. In fact, using a sleep of 0.5sec or 1.0sec still creates a faster memory benchmark in domU. Once I get to a sleep interval of 1.5sec or greater, the memory benchmark is finally slower than the baseline.

Some more details for those that are interested:
* You can view the data in graph form at http://www.cc.gatech.edu/ ~bdpayne/notes/copy.pdf. * I'm using the stream memory benchmark. The data that I show in the graph above is for copy, but similar trends are seen for scale, add, and triad. * Each point in the graph is an average of 3000 benchmark tests, taken in 3 sets of 1000 tests where each test in the 1000 was separated by 2 seconds. * The bars in the graph indicate the statistical error interval for each set of 3000 benchmarks * Note that there is more variability in the measurements from the continuous test than the tests with some sleep interval inserted in the loop (wider error interval)

These results were somewhat counter-intuitive to me as I didn't expect memory performance to improve while I was doing extra monitoring. Does anyone have some thoughts on why I'd be seeing this behavior? I'm happy to provide additional data if that's helpful.

Thanks,
bryan