RE: [Xen-devel] ioemu patch from Ewan Mellor (was: VMX statusreport Nov.

To: "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ling, Xiaofeng" <xiaofeng.ling@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] ioemu patch from Ewan Mellor (was: VMX statusreport Nov. 2)
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:11:14 -0000
Cc: Khoa Huynh <khoa@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Shi, Kuiliang" <kuiliang.shi@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:11:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Can we go back to the beginning, please?  Do you actually
> _want_ any vifs?
> Surely with VMX domains you are not using vifs at all?

There was an attempt to unify the configuration file syntax so that the
same syntax for vifs and vbds would also apply to emulated devices. I
know this was achieved with vbd's, I'm guess it was with vif's too.
[This is where the 'ioemu:' prefix in the target specifier (2n'd
parameter) in a vbd config comes from, allowing a vmx domain to have
both emulated and paravirtulaized disks/partitions.]

Ian