Re: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to disable vif completely?

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to disable vif completely?
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:35:40 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:36:00 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 06:20:43PM +0800, Tian, Kevin wrote:

>       However, since netfront/netback hasn't been ported to IA64 now, it
> always caused failure here after timout connecting to vif backend node.
> I'll try to add a hack to prevent connecting to vif backend and see whether
> forward progress. If you have simple way to do test, please help me. ;-)

So you don't want any networking at all?  In that case, set nics=0 in your xm
create configuration file, and all should be well!

>       By the way, the loopback driver is also not compiled into xen0/xenU
> currently for XEN/IA64. Is there similar case to check vif0.0 for dom0 after
> above point? That would make another failure obviously due to same reason. In
> current stage, we only promise vbd working on IA64.

Dom 0's networking is handled separately.  You want to disable the
network-script option in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp, and that should be all that
is necessary.

Ewan.