[Xen-devel] Re: USB virt status

> > Yes, right now I'm working with Xenstore too.  The updates I mentioned
> > are supposed to tackle this problem by providing a better API, automating
> > the channel setup state machine for the majority of users (i.e. all
> > devices).  I believe a some of this code is fully completed and awaiting
> > push to the main tree once it's been reviewed by a few people.
>
> Really? I haven't seen any discussion about this on the list.  Or any
> patches for review for that matter.  Another private Cambridge clique?

I believe I mentioned it to you in a previous e-mail.  But no, it hasn't been
on the public list; I found out about it by chance and was trying to keep you
informed.  It's not my place to publically announce other people's work
unless it's relevant to an on-list discussion.  That said, it does seem like
a logical next step to progress to.

> No, after I stopped trying to sync up with the xenbus-of-the-week API I
> just defined the API I wanted, coded my driver to it and it's only been
> in the last few weeks that I've been implementing the API.  Thankfully
> the xenbus and grant-table interfaces haven't changed enough to
> completely break me since then. And, yes, you'll find it is much easier
> to update the code when it isn't all munged together in one big lump.

I separated the control code from the data code within my driver, so I just
have to rewrite that, rather than the entire driver.

> > I think the project is likely to follow the path of least resistance and
> > go with a "xenstore connection setup library" that replaces most of the
> > duplicate code but retain the old datapath API.  I get the impression
> > this decision has been taken already.
>
> This doesn't seem to have been discussed on the list either.

It's the same thing I mentioned above...

> Current plan: write good quality generic code which is reusable and
> useful to other drivers.  Document and break patch down into manageable
> chunks.  Get in to the tree on technical merit.

I'll look forward to future patches.

Cheers,
Mark