Re: [Xen-devel] register new block device script

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] register new block device script
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:59:42 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:56:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 04:38:39PM +0200, Michael Mey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to develop a new script for block-devices.
> Where do I have to register it?
>
> It's for DRBD block devices. It's called 'block-drbd' .
> I tried the following steps:
>
> 1) copy it in /etc/xen/scripts
> 2) register it in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp :
>     # Setup script for drbd block devices
>     (block-drbd block-drbd)

There's no need to do this.  This is out-of-date stuff from the pre-hotplug
days.  I removed these examples last week, in fact, so you may want to update
your config file.

These scripts are now called by the hotplug/udev infrastructure.  There should
be no need to register the script as such -- xen-backend.agent should be
called by udev, and then that will call /etc/xen/scripts/block, which in turn
will call /etc/xen/scripts/block-drdb.

Have a look in your syslog files (particularly the debug level one,
e.g. /var/log/debug) and maybe add some tracing to those files, to see where
it gets stuck.

You might also want to try

PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python python /usr/lib/python/xen/util/diagnose.py <dom>

which at least will tell you whether the store entries for the device have
been created correctly.

Cheers,

Ewan.