[Xen-devel] Xen unstable and power management:

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen unstable and power management:
From: Ian Brown <ianbrn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:56:08 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 08:53:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello xen-devel,

This question is of course not of a critical importance
at all; very far from it indeed; however, I will
appreciate if anybody knows something about it:

I had noticed that running "shutdown -h now" from domain 0
does not power off the machine. (Whereas when running the distro
kernel on the same machine it does of course power off when
running "shutdown -h now").
I have the last version of xen-unstable.

I looked at the configuration of linux-2.6.12-xen0:
I ran make ARCH=xen menuconfig.
I saw that there is no "Power Management Support" (CONFIG_PM)
as in a regular 2.6.12 kernel (in x86,for example).
In a regular 2.6.12 kernel this option is under "Power Management
Options (ACPI,APM). "

I don't know if lacking of the "Power Management Support" (CONFIG_PM)
is the reason for that the machine does not power off when running
"shutdown -h now".

There is indeed in xen "ACPI Support" (under which
there is "Power Management Timer Support") but this seems unrelevant.

Is there a way to cause "shutdown -h now" from domain 0 to perform
power off?

Regards,
IB