Re: [Xen-devel] CPU Utilization.

To: Preethi M <preethi.techquery@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] CPU Utilization.
From: Rob Gardner <rob.gardner@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:22:47 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:20:11 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Preethi M wrote:
I have a basic question. I would like to know the best way to find out the CPU utilization in Xen. For example if i have a setup with Dom 0 and Dom 1 and some partitions are exported to Dom 1. When i perform IOs in Domain 1, since the actual disk device is under the control of Domain 0, the backend driver will be responsible for the actual IO operation completion. So it's obvious some amount of CPU will be utilized in Domain 0. In this scenario, i would like to know what is the best way to identify the consolidated CPU utilization both in Domain 0 and Domian 1. Is there any tool available which does this?

Pree,

If you check back in the xen-devel archives, you'll find around late August I sent out a package called xenmon, which provides fairly fine-grained reporting of various metrics, including cpu utilization for each domain, and cumulative data over 1 second and 10 seconds. This tool can show some of what you are interested in. I am planning another release of xenmon "real soon now" that incorporates some improvements and bug fixes.

Rob Gardner