[Xen-devel] Question regarding behavior of virt_to_bus ....

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Question regarding behavior of virt_to_bus ....
From: Himanshu Raj <rhim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 03:56:46 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 07:55:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Folks,

I need some large chunk of physical memory, so I allocate it early using alloc_bootmem_low_pages and use it later (akin to bigphysarea patch). The trouble I am having is the following. Suppose the virtual address for the memory area is 0xc14d6000. After xen_create_contiguous_region call, I do a virt_to_bus and the bus address comes out to be 0x18000000. So far so good. However, later when I try to use this memory in a device driver, the call to virt_to_bus returns 0x14d6000. This result is baffling me, since that's what it would look like in a normal 32-bit i386 world, and not in xenified world.

Am I doing something stupid, or is there some technicality of memory subsystem that I don't get. Ofcourse, if I just use pci_alloc_consistent (for a small buffer), everything works fine, since there is no bootmem related contortion involved.

I will highly appreciate any input on this.

--Himanshu