Re: [Xen-devel] networking oddities, present status ? changeset: 7145:71

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] networking oddities, present status ? changeset: 7145:71466686d026
From: Andrew Theurer <habanero@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:32:22 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:29:59 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:

I have been experiencing some oddities as well. Xen/bridge networking works on some switches, but not on others. Also if I have one host with a domU communicating to another host, an unrelated host (with xen) will sometimes get "peth0: received packet with own address as source address" error messages. I have to wonder if all these bridges on the xen equipped hosts need unique MAC addresses (they all have fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)

Interesting. Perhaps run a "tcpdump ether host fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff" and
see if any other host is sending packets with that as a src address. I
wander if one of the hosts on the network has STP turned on?

I give that a shot. I have a feeling at least one of the three switches I have in my network may have STP on, and I guess I should check the xen hosts as well (they really should all be using the same network-bridge script). If STP is off everywhere, is there any reason to not use fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on all xen-br0 devices?

-Andrew