Re: [Xen-devel] /proc/xen/xenbus supports watch?

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 06:26:04PM +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:
> What was the reason for wanting multiple transactions per connection?
> Changing the interface is going to be a PITA, so we should figure out if
> we're going to need that soon...

It solves the immediate problem of making the xenbus lock in the kernel
driver more fine grained.  I'm not too happy with how a userspace
program can block all xenbus access for that domain at the moment,
even if this is limited to the root user.  Additionally, I believe
it's necessary to support reconnect to a different store after
restore, allowing the store daemon or the xenbus driver to distinguish
operations which are part of an incomplete transaction from operations
which are not part of a transaction at all.  Finally, adding transaction
ids later will be a lot more difficult.

I also find the current behaviour a bit odd, we support operations
outside of transactions but once you start a transaction, every
operation you make is part of that transaction.  i think we should
either require to always be in a transaction or always allow outside
of transaction operations.

    christian