[Xen-devel] xentop CPU% wrong?

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xentop CPU% wrong?
From: "Bonnell, David" <David_Bonnell@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:59:32 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:22:44 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I noticed that the CPU% reported by xentop appears to be too high.  With dom0 idle xentop is reporting between 14-17% CPU utilization while at the same time top in dom0 is reporting 1-4% CPU utilization.  I see that the TODO for xentop includes a task to make CPU% more accurate but looking at the code for xentop and libxenstat I’m not sure how to go about this.  Assuming the CPU cycle data reported by Xen is fairly accurate then the only scope I can see for error in xentop is the calculation of elapsed time between samples, which may be improved by having libxenstat record the timestamp of each Xen hypercall it makes to collect stats and using those in xentop.

Does anyone else have any ideas why the CPU% could be so inaccurate?

-Dave