Re: [Xen-devel] Administrating Xen

> First off, there is some key-combination to make up a xen-console (or
> switch them?)? If yes, what is it again ^^?
What exactly do you mean by this?

> if the user could press ctrl+escape (imaginary key combination) three
> times,
There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place
like home.

> At this point, we
> 1.) would not have to maintain user-space tools anymore. If the API
> changes, we just adjust the Documentation and our internal prompt.
No, we still need to maintain user-space tools. What if the admin wants
to start a domain every night at 1800 and shut it down again at 1830? We
implement cron in our mini-console? What about when he wants to use a
web-frontend? What about if he wants to extend the web-frontend so that
people who are hiring domains in his server can perform actions on them
without having to bother him continually?

> 2.) don't have to care about dom0. Be it Linux, *BSD, be it an OS
> where python does not run on, etc.
We still need to care about dom0. Dom0 still runs the backend drivers
for the VIFs and VBDs, and still has special privileges to talk to the
hardware.

We also:
3.) have a ridiculously large Xen hypervisor
4.) have no way of attracting the admin's attention when we want it
5.) need the admin to be at console to do things rather than just
ssh'ing into dom0
6.) start and stop domains in a different place to where we start and
stop the virtual devices we are offering them

Any one of these is a showstopper.

--
"And  what if  I assign  a  hundred  programmers  to  it?"   The  master
programmer shrugged. "Then the design will never be completed," he said.