Re: [Xen-devel] SATA detect fails on ICH7 chipset / DellPoweredgeSC430

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] SATA detect fails on ICH7 chipset / DellPoweredgeSC430
From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:32:37 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:30:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/09/05, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please can you do an 'lspci -nv' to find out the exact version of your
> controller.

>From the Xen kernel:

0000:00:1f.2 Class 0101: 8086:27c0 (rev 01) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP
SecO PriP PriO])
        Subsystem: 1028:01ae
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 20
        I/O ports at fe00 [size=8]
        I/O ports at fe10 [size=4]
        I/O ports at fe20 [size=8]
        I/O ports at fe30 [size=4]
        I/O ports at fea0 [size=16]
        Memory at 06000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

> I'm wandering whether it features in pci/quirks.c and whether the fixup
> code is borked on Xen.

It looks like it runs quirk_intel_ide_combined(), which reads a byte
to check whether the port is in sata or legacy mode and prevents the
ide driver from finding it if it's in legacy. I removed the IDE driver
from my kernel, so I don't think this is significant.

> Also, have you tried fiddling around with any of the BIOS IDE legacy
> mode settings?

There are no IDE settings; it's a pretty bare bios.

> There really is no good explanation for a) why the MMIO region is so low
> on native, and b) why it is different under Xen. I suspect this is a
> native bug that is being compounded by Xen.

It appears to work under native though. I think I'll go and ask on the lkml.

Thanks,
Chris