RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Question about stability 32bit chroot an

To: "Robin van Leeuwen" <rvl@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Question about stability 32bit chroot and xen 2.0.7
From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:11:55 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:17:49 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I can compile xen 3.0 to boot DomU in 64 bit mode.
> and set Linux-2.6-xenU to architecture x86 instead of x86_64?
> Question is if i can boot with the xen3 kernel
> 64 bit and the domU xen32 bit. That's not possible as i
> understand from your answer.

No, it's not supported in the current version of unstable (to be 3.0).
It probably will be supported in some future version of Xen.

As far as Linux is concerned, I don't really see much point in doing
that, as x86_64 version of Linux supports running 32-bit apps (and do so
"better" than 32-bit).

The main reason I see for implementing 32-bit support in a 64-bit Xen
would be to support OS's that don't have 64-bit support, such as OS/2 or
older versions of Windows. This would of course have to be supported in
Virtual Machine hardware, such as AMD's SVM (aka Pacifica) and Intel's
VTx (Vanderpool) technology.

> My solution, could work, indeed you don't need a chroot, but
> you should just setup your domU partitions with a
> x86 release of linux. But your stuck with a unstable kernel
> in that way.
>
> To answer what you actually want to do rather than what you asked, Xen
>
> >does not support mixing 32-bit and 64-bit guests. Either Xen and all
> >guest operating systems are 64-bit, or they are all 32-bit. The same
> >applies to PAE/non-PAE. This support is planned, but not for
> some time
> >yet.
> >

> So for now my only option is to install the whole thing 32
> bit, debian + xen.

You can use either 32-bit or 64-bit version of Debian, but you can't
mix-n-match 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine at the same time.

--
Mats