RE: [Xen-devel] SATA detect fails on ICH7 chipset / Dell Poweredge SC430

To: "Chris Bainbridge" <chris.bainbridge@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] SATA detect fails on ICH7 chipset / Dell Poweredge SC430
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 12:22:07 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:20:07 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a Dell Poweredge SC420 and a SC430. The SC420 has an
> ICH6 chipset and works ok with Xen. The SC430 has an ICH7
> chipset and the SATA detection fails. I've tried 2.6.11.10
> and 2.6.12.5 kernels, with Xen 2.0.7, Xen-testing and
> Xen-unstable, all with the same results.
> I'm using the same hypervisor and kernel binaries, so
> problems with the compiler environment etc. have been ruled out.
>
> Boot logs attached from Xen-unstable on 2.6.12.5 kernel. Any
> fixes would be welcome :-)

Having the bootlog from a native build of 2.6.12.5 would be useful to
compare against the 2.6.12.5-xen0.

When running native linux, what driver is used for the SATA controller?
Are you sure its actually compiled in to our -xen0 config?

Incidently, have you tried using the -xen kerenel plus modules that are
in our -unstable install tar ball?  This is the kernel that end-users
are intended to use: -xen0/-xenU are just for developers' convenience
(fewer modules, faster to build).

Best,
Ian