Re: [Xen-devel] domU NFS performance

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domU NFS performance
From: Nicholas Lee <emptysands@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:58:10 +1200
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:56:11 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/29/05, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A few things to try: Use TCP rather than UDP as the transport protocol.
> Also, try setting rsize/wsize to less than the MTU (e.g. 1024). If the
> latter fixes things, try setting just one of rsize/wsize to the lower
> value.
>
> UDP and IP fragmentation have been the biggest sources of problems for
> us. And I'm not totally sure how well Linux NFS implementation recovers
> from packet loss when it runs over UDP.

Just quickly remounting in TCP mode for both the mail and shell server
didn't seem to help the mutt issue. I can reliably get this issue to
reoccur by simply 'R' entering the Drafts folder. Then 'e' exiting
back to the INBOX.  I'll see if I can put together a test account for
this at the end of the week.

I'll look at trying NFS with TCP or smaller UDP on the desktop domU tomorrow.

--
Nicholas Lee
http://stateless.geek.nz