Re: [Xen-devel] OpenBSD again

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] OpenBSD again
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:31:42 +0100
Cc: Gabriel Gonzalez <gabriel.gonzalez.garcia@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:32:17 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   I have been looking through the mailing list archive and I have read
> about ppl writing about porting OpenBSD to Xen but I don't if they
> really started porting it.

One or two people have expressed interest in using a port.  One or two people
have previously said they'd help out if one was started but I don't think
it's actually underway (not yet, anyhow).

I also checked through the OpenBSD kernel mailing lists a while ago but there
wasn't much enthusiasm there.

For anyone starting a port, the code in the other BSD ports might be a useful
thing to a look at, although the concensus last time this came up was that
the BSDs have diverged too far for reusing this code to be a matter of "drop
it in and run" in this case.

>   I would like trying to port OpenBSD to Xen, it is a good challenge.
> If someone is already working on it I would be more than pleasure to
> collaborate with.

Yup, I think it'd be a really nice thing to have, allowing OpenBSD to leverage
device drivers of other OSes in a sandboxed fashion, and to allow other OSes
to run OpenBSD-based services.

Another thing I'd *love* to see is a port of DragonflyBSD.  I've heard more
positive noises about the potential to reuse code from the FreeBSD port here.

Cheers,
Mark