RE: [Xen-devel] How to deallocate memory shared between domain and xen

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] How to deallocate memory shared between domain and xen
From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:41:45 -0700
Cc: "Turner, Yoshio" <yoshio_turner@xxxxxx>, Jose Renato Santos <jsantos@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, G John Janakiraman <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:40:47 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Ian, Keir

  Thanks for the feedback.
  Comments embedded in the message

  OK. For now I will not explictly de-allocate the shared memory,
  and let the memory be deallocated when the domain dies.
  I am assuming nothing special has to be done and the memory gets
  deallocated automaticaly when the domain dies
  (SHARE_PFN_WITH_DOMAIN() seems to be including the shared
  page in the list of pages owned by the domain which
  should be automatically de-alocated when the domain dies, right?).
  Will this also cause the memory to be returned to the Xen heap?

  I am assuming this is a temporary solution.
  The problem is that the memory is mapped into kernel space
  by oprofile which can be configured as a kernel module.
  Therefore one would expect that the memory would be deallocated
  when the module is unloaded. Assuming we cannot deallocate
  memory explictly we need to remember the first allocation,
  to avoid memory leaks after successive module load/unload.
  Since the module can be unloaded and loaded again this
  info need to saved somewhere in the kernel but outside
  oprofile module.(argh!, this is ugly ...)

  I just finished most of the logic for SMP guest support
  in Xenoprof, and I am starting to test/debug now. I suspect
  it will take several days to fix all the bugs.
  I am seeing a real nasty bug right now.
  The machine auto reboots at random times when running xenoprof
  with a SMP dom0 (no error log or message on the console).
  This is not a deterministic bug and sometimes I can run
  oprofile for a long time (although I just get samples
  for one of the the 2 cpus). I will switch to testing
  on domU and see if the machine survives the bug in this case
  BTW, Do you have any suggestion on what is the best way to debug
  this type of bug in Xen?

> I would like to point out that I currently don't like the way
> oprofile offers EIP samples to each domain for conversion
> into symbols. I'd much rather see this done off-line. In my
> view, Xen should log the domain,EIP,guest_pagetable,and
> kernel stack pointer in each sample, storing it in a
> per-(physical)CPU buffer that's shared with the monitoring
> domain (usually dom0). Dom0 will then be able to distinguish
> different processes (by pagetable) and even different threads
> (by linux kernel stack pointer) even if it won't actually by
> able to name them.

  I am not sure how we would decode EIP samples into
  binary images with this approach. Being able to distinguish
  process and threads do not solve this mapping problem.
  Oprofile maps EIP into binary images by looking at which files
  are mapped in which regions of the process address space and
  then converts the EIP into a file identifier (cookie) and an offset.
  Not sure how we would do this with your suggestion. Also, keep in
  mind that we want to re-use most of existing oprofile code, instead
  of creating a new profiling tool.

  Thanks

  Renato