Re: [Xen-devel] help with bugs

To: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] help with bugs
From: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:38:15 -0700
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:36:39 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gerd Knorr wrote:
I'd be inclined to rename the physical interface to pethN, and create
veth0 as eth0. I think this should solve the DHCP issue.

Hmm, just an idea, not sure how well that would work in
practice, maybe the network script should not even attempt to
copy the ip addresses, but instead use ifup and ifdown, i.e.
something like this:

        ifdown eth0
        ip link set eth0 name peth0
        ip link set veth0 name eth0
        brctl addbr xen-br0
        brctl addif xen-br0 peth0
        brctl addif xen-br0 vif0.0
        ip link set peth0 up
        ip link set vif0.0 up
        ip link set xen-br0 up
        ifup eth0

Unfortunately, we might not be able to do this (we do not
want to force a rename of the physical device). Looking into
this...

thanks,
Nivedita

At least suse, fedora and debian have ifup and ifdown to control
interfaces, not sure about others ...

So you don't use veth0?

No.  Partly because it's not entriely clear to me how the setup
should look like (hope I got it right above), partly because the
same setup works for both xen2 and xen3 then.  And, no, I don't
run services for the domUs on dom0 ...

  Gerd