[Xen-devel] Xen's To Do list

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen's To Do list
From: Amber Palekar <amber_palekar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:27:59 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:26:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am a graduate student studying at the Carnegie
Mellon University doing my major in Information
Networking. For the fall 2004 semester I am taking a
course that requires me to do a project course on
Operating Systems.

I am interested in virtualization even though I don?t
have any practical experience in it. I have done a bit
of kernel hacking previously (linux kernel 2.4) and am
currently reading the NFSv3/v4 related code in 2.6. I
am also familiar with the VFS and block device layer
code in 2.6.

The course project that I am doing is a 2 person
project spanning over 3.5 months. It is not a research
project but rather one which is geared towards
implementation.

Going with my interests, I would like to contribute to
Xen through this semester long project. Sorry for the
spam but I really thought this was the only way I
could reach to all Xen developers and get their
views/suggestions.

I have gone through Xen's To-Do list and find the CoW
filesystem project interesting. The site just mentions
a couple of lines about the project. Is this project
already been taken by anyone? Could someone please
elaborate a bit on the requirements? I do realize that
Bin Ren has done some work on Copy-On-Write Multi-Disk
block device. I am also interested in other projects
like CPU load balancing, x86_64 Xen port.

Do these projects (or are there any other projects)
that fit the given resources and time-frame? I
understand that there will be a lot of code
comprehension to be done and hence have posted this
email in advance of to the fall semester.

Thanks a lot for your time and patience reading this
long email :)

-----
Amber Palekar
www.ece.cmu.edu/~apalekar