Re: [Xen-devel] Scheduling

>I am now changing my scheduling and have noticed some different results,

>perhaps you could help me in my studies....
>
>I am running CPU intensive VMs and am trying to find out at what
>scheduling they'll run the best (since the simulation being run over a
>long duration, short periods and slices are not important).  I have 8
>VMs so my first few tests were running in periods of 1, 2, and 10
>seconds, divided among the 8 domUs...
>

>So I typed
>Xm sedf (1,8) 1,2,10e9 125,250,1250e6 0 0 0
>(ie, xm sedf 1 1000000000 125000000 0 0 0)
>
>In this case, I excluded scheduling for dom0...
>
>Could you please help me refine my scheduling.

Sure. Actually I have not thought of such long periods and slices and in
fact there are parts in the code that limit the slice and period lengths
to roughly 4 seconds (due to arithmetic overflow), as I guessed that
those long periods would be quite exotic. In fact I think you might be
better of to use the scheduler in extra-time mode, that means you don't
guarantee time to the domains, but rather split the remaining (i.e. when
all realtime domains have finished) time into pieces of various sizes.
I guess this might be more appropriate to you, I assume that your long
running simulation is not a real-time application?

So you might just try to do
xm sedf (1,8) 0 0 0 1 w
With w specifying a weight for the domain. This works intuitively, so a
domain with weight 4 gets twice the amount of CPU time as one with
weight 2, which gets 2/5 of one with weight 5.

I hope that this suits your needs, if not, let me know and I'll change
some of the arithmetic code.
BTW: What did actually happen when you used the above command?

Stephan