Re: [Xen-devel] execve() in reboot.c ?

Vincent Hanquez wrote:

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:13:25PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Mark Williamson wrote:

It'd be nice if Linux had a generic way of communicating a reboot request to userspace. It ought to be useful on other VMMs - maybe this is something for Rik's common infrastructure wishlist?
How about simply reusing whatever signal is sent to init
when ctrl-alt-del is pressed on PCs ?

SIGINT

That's not a good idea though, if somebody put nothing in the ctrlaltdel
action, then it's not going to do anything.
Aren't we trying to something a bit unnatural here? Clearly, shutting down is something best done from userspace.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about domU tools for Xen userspace? If the XenStore API can be accessible via userspace we could easily write some patches (or special daemons) that could do this sort of stuff. Might be particularily useful if we want to provide more sophisticated stuff in the future.

Not something for Xen 3.0 but might be interesting for 3.1.x. Thoughts? Am I crazy? :-)

Regards,

Anthony Liguori