[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] Simpler domid allocation.

On 15 Jul 2005, at 16:40, Anthony Liguori wrote:

I understand your fears w.r.t. decentralised tools. One thing I think we will end up doing is adding the domain uuid (big unique domain identifier) to Xen. Xen will still work in terms of the short 16-bit domids, but control tools will be able to read out this extra unique key value which they can use to protect themselves against domid reuse in the absence of some other trusted authority. Invaluable for debugging screwed-up machine states too. :-)

Excellent. The UUID would be part of the struct domain in Xen? Would Xen create it and the tools just have an interface to get it? I'd be happy to submit a patch to add this as it would be very useful for the tools (since it effectively eliminates the possibility of race conditions).

No, it would just be a 16-byte array settable via a dom0_op and returned by getdomaininfo. No reason for Xen to be responsible for creating it, and it has downsides: 1. It would stop us from using an allocation strategy that 100% guarantees cluster-wide uniqueness
 2. We'd like domains to keep their uuids across reboots.

 -- Keir