[Xen-devel] Re: force PAE patch

To: Paul Larson <plars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: force PAE patch
From: Ryan Harper <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:32:02 -0500
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 20:30:48 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Paul Larson <plars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-07-13 14:38]:
> Keir, I noticed your patch to force PAE on.  Things like this are very
> useful for testing config options that are off by default, but I'd like
> to see about putting a more generic method for doing this into Xen.
>
> Ryan and I had discussed this recently, and there are at least a few
> different scenarios I could see being useful.
>
> 1. make CONFIG_SOMETHING=y CONFIG_SOMETHING_ELSE=y CONFIG_YET_ANOTHER=n
> For specifying just a few individual config options.
>
> 2. make KCONFIG=/path/to/kernel/configfile
> This is useful if you have several different kernel configs that you
> want to reuse for different test runs.  A possible variation of this
> could be to specify DOM0_KCONFIG and DOMU_KCONFIG.

I have an patch that pushes the extraversion variable up to the top
level makefile.  This allows me to control which default config file is
used to populate the kernel source tree.

make KERNELS="xen0-smp xenU-smp" results in copying

sparse/arch/xen/configs/xen0-smp_defconfig_$(TARGET_ARCH) as .config in
the tree.

It also allows me to collapse buildconfigs/mklinux-2.6-{xen,xen0,xenU}
into a single file since they only differ by the extraversion field.

> Speaking for myself at least, this would be great to have and make
> testing of some of the non-default config options much easier.  Would
> anyone else find this useful?

I would like to see at least a way to specify a which config file to be
used ala some form of (2).  I think option (1) is very useful for
testing slightly different configurations or for quick tests when one
needs to do some debugging.

--
Ryan Harper
IBM Corp., Austin, Tx