Re: [Xen-devel] beginnings of allowing more than the basic 80x25 VGAscre

On 5 Jul 2005, at 18:22, David Hopwood wrote:

On current PC hardware, a boot loader must have code for doing BIOS calls
anyway, so it might as well set up the video mode (and font if needed).
I don't know what modes GRUB currently supports, but if it doesn't support the > 25-line text modes then that's an RFE for GRUB, not something that
needs to be fixed by adding more cruft to Xen.

I'm pretty sure that GRUB won;t set up all the nice vga gfx modes on behalf of an OS, and even if it does you'd still need font data and other smarts in the OS to make use of the hi-res mode. Extra patches to GRUB are a pain because in my experience they are almost impossible to get accepted upstream.

 -- Keir