[Xen-devel] make clean in tools/ioemu/target-i386-dm broken

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] make clean in tools/ioemu/target-i386-dm broken
From: George Washington Dunlap III <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 13:08:41 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:07:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Doing a "make clean all" in the tools/ioemu/target-i386-dm directory (or doing a make clean / make from anywhere above that level, including a make world) gives the following error:

 make: *** No rule to make target `qemu-dm.debug', needed by `all'.  Stop.

The culprit turns out to be the following hg changeset:
 77f397603f71be1c57a0a998dcbd772b2b6b745c
which modifies tools/ioemu/target-i386-dm/Makefile (among other things).

It adds "qemu-dm.debug" to the PROGS variable in the makefile; this means that "install $(PROGS)" will copy it into the appropriate install directory. Unfortunately, it also means that clean, which does a "rm -rf ... $(PROGS) ...", will delete it. Since qemu-dm.debug is a script and not a generated file, this causes an error on the next build.

The attached patch will do a quick-fix if required.

 -George