Re: [Xen-devel] How console data travel in Xen?

NAHieu wrote:

Oops, probably you missed my point: I want to know how the data go
from low level (HW) to Xen (hypervisor), then to dom0.
I was avoiding answering this because I'm sure that someone who's much smarter than me is going to jump in and correct me on this :-)

dom0 takes the keyboard interrupts just like it normally would. I believe (and I may be wrong here) that in x86 the IDT is setup such that keyboard interrupts go directly to the dom0 kernel (since it's in ring 1).

I would imagine that in x86-64 that those interrupts have to be reflected back down to the guest OS. This is almost pure speculation though so hopefully someone else will jump in and correct me.

I guess it works this way: dom0 has privileged right to access to HW,
so it can take keyboard code directly (I guess it goes thru Xen, but
dont know exactly how?). Then from dom to domU, it works like you
explained. Is that correct?

Many thanks, Anthony.
Hieu.