[Xen-devel] architecture selection in config

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] architecture selection in config
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:41:47 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:41:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Trying to integrate the unstable sparse Linux tree into the SuSE one I ran into
a number of build issues, mostly associated with out-of-source tree building
(patches later). However, in the course of fixing one particular problem (the
microcode patch driver not buildable as a module), I changed its i386 Kconfig
option to bool, resulting in a warning that the x86-64 Kconfig redefines this
to be a tristate. Changing this option there to be bool obviously circumvents
the problem (and in the given case is necessary anyway), but this begs a more
general question: Isn't the way architecture selection is currently done prone
to cause grief especially when more acritectures get added? Since all
architectures' Kconfig-s get included from arch/xen/Kconfig, contradicting
types of config options in architectures more distinct than i386 from x86-64
are likely in my opinion, and hence are likely to cause problems looking
forward.

And following that, an even more general question (tried to search the list
archives, but didn't quickly find a discussion of this topic) would be whether
XEN shouldn't better integrate with the way architecture determination is done
in the base kernel, namely making use of the ARCH/SUBARCH functionality already
present for UML (and thus by default deriving the architecture from the host
one instead of making this a config option, requiring a command line argument
when a cross config is desired).

Thanks, Jan