RE: [Xen-devel] Review needed for "commonisation" of common/grant_table.

To: <cwc22@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Review needed for "commonisation" of common/grant_table.c
From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:56:44 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:55:55 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Can you send me your patched grant_table.c ? I don't have the tools or
> a source tree to hand right now to apply your patch, but I'd like to
> take a look.

Will send as separate file to avoid cluttering the whole list.

> What do these comments mean? -:
> // FIXME-ia64: any error checking need to be done here?

It means that on x86, there are a number of error conditions due
to the way page tables are handled, but none (or perhaps different
error conditions) apply on ia64.  The checks for the page table
issues are x86 specific and would need to be macro-ized somehow
for the code to be portable.

> Why doesn't ia64 use put_page and put_page_type? Isn't there a frame
> table with reference counts on ia64?

There's a frame table but no reference counts because there
are no "special" (e.g. L1 page table) frames (at least not
in the current implementation).  No get_page either (but that
is only used in code which is commented out for other x86-specific
reasons).

Dan