Re: [Xen-devel] Hypercall interface changes for PAE

On 31 May 2005, at 22:18, Keir Fraser wrote:

The code that would be affected by an interface difference is precisely that code which manipulates page tables, and so is already broken by the different pagetable format. The only way unmodified non-pae code could possibly be made to work is by using shadow page tables. In that case we would hook off the call to e.g., do_mmu_update() very early anyway (off into shadow code). Hardly different really from jumping in the first place at a different hypercall function with different prototype: this latter would arguably be cleaner and less cluttered, as well as easily allowing us to support non-pae hypercall interface within pae xen.

I really think that creating this interface inconsistency is not something to be worried about.

I'll repeat again, though, that I'm neutral on this. A larger mmu_update_t and extra register argument to update_va_mapping is not going to noticeably slow down non-pae i386.

 -- Keir